With patch 4.0.3a, a.k.a. "the shattering", on the PTR, with many speculating we'll see it on live servers as early as Tuesday, It's time to start thinking about what you need to do to get ready. And before you say "Blizz would never release a major patch like this before a holiday..." I must remind you that we'd never have thought they'd release a huge patch like 4.0.1 the week of Blizzcon either. And thus I bring you 5 steps for preparing for the patch:
- Pick your new home city, portal there from Dalaran on Monday night, and wait. Why? 4.0.3a removes the Dalaran portals, replacing them with professions trainers. If you get stuck in Dal, it's the slow boat back to Azeroth for you. And don't forget to set your hearthstone. This doesn't apply, however, to your toons in the 71-80 range.
- Get prepared to give your alts stuck in Northrend one last push before the expansion. With the 20% reduction in XP required to get through those levels going live with this patch, you'll be ready for Cataclysm in no time.
- Park your 80 mage in front of where those portals used to be. For the first week or so you will get tips galore from helping unprepared and navigationally challenged folks get around.
- Design your new gnome priest or undead hunter's look, and get ready for the reroll or the race change.
- If you play a Druid, paladin, priest, or shaman, look at the new talent calculators now -- your talents are going to be reset and you'll need to redetermine how you wish to allocate your talent points.
BONUS: Get a chopper made now -- nothing says post-Apocalypse road trip through Azeroth like a motorcycle.