Adapted from Pastry Affair's dark rum banana bread. Yields one 9 x 5-inch loaf
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 4 average sized bananas)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rum (I used Malibu)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
In a mixer or a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs individually and mix until combined. Add vanilla extract and mashed bananas and mix until combined. Mix in dry ingredients, scraping down bowl, and mix until all flour is evenly incorporated into the batter. Stir in the rum and the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 70-80 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing from pan and transferring loaf to a cooling rack to cool completely.